Wednesday, August 31, 2011

08/25/11 Bring It On


It’s 6 am and I pop out of bed.  I can’t even do that on a school day! But “poor me” syndrome is totally over.  Not even a little bit.  We made a poor, cornered doctor admit that Adam has symptoms of Leukemia, but needs a bone marrow sample to know for sure.  So, I was out of bed, putting on my makeup, ready to conquer the world.  Literally, actually thinking, “I am going to find out my son has Leukemia today, and we are going to tackle this thing.” If those aren’t fighting words, I don’t know what are!  Got my baby girl dressed (technically goes like this: I picked out clothes for her to say, “no mommy, I want a dress!” and do it hers elf, but you know what I mean), and we were off.  Dropped her at grandma’s like a normal day and headed into the commuting traffic.  Surprisingly a quick drive, thinking everyone got out of my way when they saw me coming.  Worried about how my troops (Josh and Adam) slept through the blood transfusion he needed last night.  Knowing my school was praying for me at that very moment, I was on top of the world, ready to defeat Goliath!
Adam goes down to his procedure sometime before noon.  He is still pale, but got some color from the transfusion.  Not eating much, but totally engrossed in cartoons.  I am glad right now that we don’t have cable at home, so this will entertain him for awhile!
Fast forward… So, we’re down at the ER, and Adam is thinking it’s totally cool that he gets to ride on his bed in the elevator.  We get in pre-op and the nurse says she is going to give him something to calm him.  He seems pretty calm to me?  But I guess I have no choice and suddenly, my son is drunk.  Four years old and looking like he just drank a pint of whiskey.  I am feeling nauseous and have to leave the room.  Josh and I go to the cafeteria to share some breakfast.  Not the best meal in my life. 
As I am talking to my husband, I realize, I have the best friend and partner in the world.  His wisdom and strength have always been his attractive qualities, and they are in full force today.  I can manage any trial with him by my side.  A strand of three can never be broken!
Adam comes out, and is not happy to be waking up.  He is my little sleeper, just like mommy.  Three hours later, and he is finally willing to open his eyes.  He definitely needed the rest.  We are still waiting, and waiting for the official counseling session in which we seal the deal on our diagnosis.  Luckily, grandma and grandpa are here when the team comes in.  We step into their office (well, a conference room) and get down to details.

No comments:

Post a Comment